Thursday, April 3, 2014

The week before General Conference


We taught Nadia for the first time yesterday. It was wonderful. She really is as special as we believed her to be when we contacted her on the street. I love being able to feel something that's outside of you. Like a tug of some kind of emotion that tells you something true, and you know you should believe in it without knowing what it is. I felt that tug on Saturday.

When Elder D. Call left, he couldn't find his planner. His planner had Nadia's phone number and address. When I realized that we had scheduled to visit her at 10:30 and I didn't know where she lived or couldn't cancel the appointment, I was desperate to find a way to see her. I tried my best to remember and prayed that somehow I would find her address. I remembered--this thought often comes to mind in potential faith building moments--to do everything I possibly could and then trust that what is right will happen. 

 20 And awhatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, which is right, believing that ye shall receive, behold it shall be given unto you.

This verse helps me a lot in these situations. After praying, I felt that if I just tried my best to find her apartment, working from my memory, that I would somehow find her. We left our house and I looked for the apartment. I went to where I remember seeing her last. I decided to try pushing all the buttons on the intercom to find her apartment. After calling about 10 different residents from the gate on the intercom, I looked behind me and Nadia was right there, taking her little dog for a walk. She said "Vocês esqueceram de mim, foi?" "Did you forget about me?" in a joking way, referring to the appointment at 10:30. I explained that I didn't have her number or address so I went looking for her. We scheduled with her to visit her on Sunday. The lesson was great. She's intelligent and comprehends what we present to her. She has read to 2nd Nephi 30 in two weeks. She says the number one thing she's looking for in her life is to find what's missing. She feels like she needs to serve God in more ways than one. She goes to the catholic church every Sunday but feels that there is more she needs to find. It's almost like one of those perfect investigators you read about in Preach My Gospel. She's even going to give us a car ride to General Conference this weekend.

We can always give the credit to chance, but I know that faith is a principle of power. I was certain we would find her there that morning so that I could get her address again because of how I felt. Feelings give us knowledge. If we learn to trust our feelings we can be guided by the spirit. I'm thankful that Heavenly Father was willing to teach me about faith even after I had lost Nadia's address and really didn't do everything I could have to find it.

My new companion is Elder Sales. I met him about one year ago while I was in Aguas Lindas. I've always enjoyed his company and friendly character. He is very humble and diligent. I'm so happy to be able to work hard with a great companion in my last transfer. He's already told me some stories of him being with Indians. We get along well. He is from São Paulo and is the only member of the church in his family. He hasn't gotten an email from his family in 1 year and 3 months. He is a grand example to everyone. 
I will be visiting certain areas on the 7th, 14th, and 21st so I might be rushed to email you guys on these days. We will probably have a zone activity on the 28th too.


It's fantastic to hear about all my brother's growth and activities. I can't wait to see the change in them. I've learned how crucial it is to be an example for the youth and to strengthen them in every way possible. It's so gratifying to know that my family is living worthily to become a celestial family.

I have grown to love baptismal interviews. I had the privilege of interviewing Isabela who was baptized yesterday. I have never felt so clearly that someone was ready to be baptized as much as I did with her. She clearly understood repentance and comprehends that it is a CHANGE of heart. I am grateful to be able to understand in part the role of the priesthood in administering in the church.




Love,
Elder Young

Not Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment