Monday, March 18, 2013

Nescau and Seeing Others as They May Become

Well hello,

I find it funny that this little cubicle where this computer lives is my portal of communication in between us. Because I've always been so immersed in the technological world, I've never really perceived until now how odd it is that we can enter a virtual world of connections through this little box that sits behind this screen. I only use a computer one day every week, so I think that's helped me extract myself from my constant connection to computers, haha. Sometimes I feel like I've gone back in time a little bit because at least in this part of Brazil, not everyone has a computer, and most people have cell phones that I would say are "so 5 years ago."
I'm happy that this computer runs on Windows XP instead of Vista, though. That's comforting.

Unfortunately, our working time this week was shortened because E. G. Santos was sick again. It's not anything bad or contagious, but the mission doctor told him that he should rest.
Elder Reese and Me -- Enjoying Fudge-Covered Oreos

These days I'm drinking a lot of chocolate milk. That must be a surprise to you, Mom, but I really like it now. I really like a lot of things I didn't like before... I drink chocolate milk almost everyday for breakfast. The 3 missionaries I live with and I have discussed buying a cow to economize. I noticed one day that a good sized plastic cow is always on the corner of a supermarket we pass a lot. I have been tempted more than once to pick it up and take it with me on the way home. The only thing that impedes me is the size and weight of the thing. Even though it's plastic, it looks super heavy.
Plastic Cow Statue


The milk here isn't very tasty, so the only way to enjoy it is by mixing Nescau in it. For those who are wondering, and also for those who weren't even wondering, the rooster that has been waking me up early for the past 4 months didn't make a sound this morning. It was glorious. This is the extent of my unimportant news.

This week isn't very newsy, but you probably would like to know that I spoke in church again yesterday. I was asked on Saturday if I could speak for 20 minutes along with E. G. Santos. I prepared a talk pretty quickly with the time I had on Saturday night and Sunday morning before church. When I got there I was told it really only has to be 10 minutes, so that was a relief. I really enjoyed preparing and giving my talk. I enjoy public speaking more and more the more I do it. I think it's an interesting art, seeing that much of the teaching done in the church is through this medium. I based my talk on the words of Thomas S. Monson's talk last conference in the priesthood session, "See Others as They May Become." I really like that phrase and described the implication it has for our roles in this life (as parents, as brothers, as spouses, as members of the church, etc.) and gave examples of how Christ saw others as they could become (choosing fisherman to be great leaders, giving us the chance to change through the atonement). I read Alma 31 to show how Alma saw people in this light as well, which relates the Alma's effort in bringing back the apostate Zoramites. I could tell as I talked that people liked an example I used from my childhood: When I was learning to play piano, mom and dad always encouraged us and gave us praise in a way that helped us see our potential. I mentioned that I made many mistakes while learning piano and I was sure it wasn't preferable for my parents to hear a song over and over and over for hours, but they never made negative comments. They always commented that I played very well and that they enjoyed hearing me play. They saw me as the pianist, or person, I could become rather than the kid that won't stop banging on the piano and making a lot of noise. I was grateful that they called on me to give a talk because I acquired a deeper understanding of the phrase "see others as they may become."

Happy Spring Break!
Love,
Elder Bryce Young

Member Family and Elder Reese Smilin' for the Camera

Elder Young with Brasilian Family in front of Mural


No comments:

Post a Comment