Thursday, June 28, 2012

Another fast week in the MTC



Dear fambam,
Another fast week (I measure weeks from Wednesday to Wednesday) has gone by. All those who told me a day is a week and a week is a day were spot on. The actual events that take place every day do not change often, but the things I learn day by day make very dynamic changes in me. We have excellent devotionals twice a week. I learn something to work on or a new insight every single time.
Since Sunday I've thought a lot about 2 Timothy 3. Paul describes the apostasy and lists characteristics of the last days. Many of the things he lists are already around us everwhere we look. Verse 7 is interesting. We live in a time of an increasing wealth of knowledge and capability, but the simple knowledge, or truth, that is most important to seek is drowned out and forgotten about. The knowledge we should seek as our highest priority is in the scriptures. "continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.  All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness; That the man of God may be perfect, That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furninshed unto all good works." (2 Tim 3: 14-17)
the Anti-Nephi Lehis were applying Paul's counsel when they buried their weapons knowing they would be killed by the Lamanites. They "were brought to believe and to know the truth, they were firm, and would suffer even unto death rather than commit sin" (Alma 24:19) They didn't doubt the eternatl truth of the word of God--which is "quick and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart" (Heb 4:12) In the same way the Anti-Nephi Lehis buried their weapons (focusing on eternal rather than temporal life, so can we bury our earthly prizes and earthly concerns for more eternal concerns.
Being here has given me a much stronger eternal perspective, and I can already see how it will change my life.
  
Talks I read this week and loved:
The Profile of a Prophet - Hugh B Brown
Flooding the Earth With the Book of Mormon - Ezra Taft Benson
Funny scripture of the week:
1 Timothy 3:4 "having his children in subjection with all gravity" (I picture our family floating up to the ceiling like in Mary Poppins--Dad, make sure you keep them in subjection with all gravity)
Thank you for all the news and the prayers! I wish I could respond to all the emails I get from people, but alas, I cannot. I do read them, and thank you.
Much love,
Bryce

No comments:

Post a Comment